Saturday, April 18, 2020

Photography kit, handy extra goodies (part 7) clothes


 Now this is another of those odd ideas to carry in a camera bag. But hear me out.
 My large camera bag that goes on jobs has my high vis vest with the word photographer printed on it, not only does this make you a bit safer if you have to work at the roadside, but it also makes you look more official if your at events.
 Other handy clothes are spare shoe/boot laces (I carry these on my person) and the most common item a waterproof jacket. Not only with this help keep you dry but also warmer on a cold evening.  These can be bought cheaply and you can get some that fold up small.  Now I know I've suggest a festival poncho in a past post but thats for emergency use if your caught out.
 The last two items on my list may seem even stranger, one is spare socks and underwear, this idea came during my days as a press photographer when you could be sent out on what seemed a simple job and be gone for days if a police raid turned into a seige or something (that actually happened) at least you can freshen up with some water and a change of pants.
 The last item is a clean dry teeshirt, this comes from my army days and long marches/runs.  The idea is after a long march when your a sweaty mess you have a nice dry baselayer to put on, you dry off with the microfibre towel I mentioned in a previous post, bung on a dry teeshirt and put your top layers back on, if you've stopped to brew up on the top of say Pen-y-Fan (the highest peak in south Wales) and the wind is bitter a dry shirt next to the skin makes a massive diference, same if your bedding down for the night.
 One last tip (this from the SBS, the Royal Navy answer to the SAS) instead of regular boxer shots try speedos, or budgie smugglers as they are sometimes called.  They dry very quickly when wet and you can use them as a swiming costume (what they are made for) they do feel a bit odd at first but you soon get used to them.

No comments: