Sunday, April 12, 2020

Photography kit. Handy extra goodies to carry (part1) ground sheet


 As we're still in lockdown I'm going to post some ideas and suggestions for usefull photography kit and handy extra gear to have with you on a days outing.
 Now some of this stuff I'll be covering I carry everyday in my bag, other stuff might get taken out or added depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going shooting.

 Part one.
A  Ground sheet.
 Yes a ground sheet. Now it might seem an odd thing to carry but trust me it's really handy.  The current groundsheet of choice for me is one sold last year by a chain store called Poundland here in the UK.  It's a cheapy sort of dollar store but often has good stuff.
 The ground sheet itself is about 6x3 foot (about 1x2 metres) and is dark green on one side and silver on the other.  Folded it's about the size of a paperback book and weight is hardly noticable.
 Now this is one of those things I always carry in my bag, doesn't matter if it's a wedding or a ten mile walk. Even my small light kit bag (just big enough for a camera and flash) has a half length piece bunged in.
 Why is it so handy?  I'll explain.  First off you can put it on the ground and sit on it if the grounds wet cold or dirty (in weddings we use it on things for the bride to sit on to keep the dress clean) in the wet you can wrap it around yourself to help keep dry, same if your caught out in the cold, an extra wind blocking layer makes a big difference.  These poundland sheets seem supprisingly good insulation wise, I laid on one for about 3 hours once on ice cold concrete in november in bloody freezing weather and I was fine, just touching the bare concrete was like putting your hand on a block of ice, the vinal sheet made a HUGE difference.
 Another use for it is to lay it on the floor and lay on it to get low camera angles and keep clean, or to keep your bag clean if you put it down.
 Lastly as these have holes in the corners you could even rig a small shelter roof if you have any string (I normally carry some)  Now I use a poundland ground sheet, but any thing similar would do.. You could use a large piece of plastic, a tarp or poncho... You get the idea.

No comments: