Monday, January 31, 2022

What a fun day_not!

 

 Well this morning I went to get some new tyres.  I get through a lot of tyres being a formular one racing driver....  No wait, I'm not a racing driver?... indeed I don't do much driving at all.  And I don't drive like a lunatic with screaming tyres either.  So why the fuck do I need new tyres every few months?

 One reason is the tracking on my car was out, thats not helped by three million speed bumps within five miles of my house. Indeed a ploughed field is smoother that the main roads near me.

 The other reason is I seem to have been buying crap tyres.  I had a mechanic out to look at my car the other day and he informed me I had snow tyres on, soft compound snow tyres!   Now I had no idea thay were snow tyres, and as I hardly ever even see snow never mind drive in it they were pointless, and they wear quickly so more money for the tyre shop.

 So I bought new proper tyres, my God they are expensive, it's not that I can't afford them, I'm just bloody tight. But the price!  It would have been cheaper to have the roads coated in rubber and driven on the rims...  (Sounds like a good idea now I mention it.)  

 Anyway not only are good tyres expensive, they should last longer and they have a high speed rating, that means it's safe to drive up to a 170 MPH.  Well it is in theory, you see in the UK where I live the maxium speed limit is 70 MPH, and most of the roads around me have a 50 MPH limit, so a slight over kill in speed rating, that and my car would have to be dropped from a plane to reach a 130 MPH in the first place. To add insult to injury I'm not a fast driver normally anyway, it's not that I can't drive fast, I just don't.

 Then this afternoon the day kicked into high gear, a call out on the lifeline, my mothers fallen again, so dash over to her house (maybe high speed tyres are worth the money?) and get her up off the floor.  Thats when my back went.  Followers of the blog will know I have a dicky back, it's an old injury, I have trouble a lot, anyway I've made it worse, a lot worse, but with no hoist theres bugger all other way to get her up off the floor. I checked her out first obviously and she seems more or less unharmed by the fall so all good there.

 Oh well time for some strong painkillers and a five mile walk, have to keep fit after all!

No comments: