Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A fishy problem.

Last week, I was asked by a friend of a friend to take a look at his photos of tropical reef fish, pick the best 50 out and edit them for a picture library. Easy peasy! you say. Well not quite, you see the problem starts with the fact that I know about as a much about fish as I do about structural engineering with cheese!
I know for example that Mackerel are stupid enough to be caught by putting feathers on your fish hook. I also know that Goldfish don't live very long, especially those unlucky enough to be looked after by me, indeed were I to even go swimming near a tropical reef whole species of fish would become extinct.
I know that my favorite fish by far is the Cod, served up by Captain Birdeye. Sadly what I don't know about fish would fill several large warehouses. And there lies the problem, to edit the pictures properly, you need to know what they are supposed to actually look like, and I haven't the foggiest idea.
Oh I did my best, they look great to me, ok the spiny seahorse (or whatever it's called) isn't spiny any more (well how was I suppose to know?) but it looked better to me, all those "lumpy" bits gone.
Somehow I don't think there's much future in this, and me saying "do you ever spear any of them?" to the photographer/conservationist probably hasn't helped much either.

No comments: