Thursday, March 11, 2021

Torch power!

 

 I'm Wayne and I'm a torchaholic...  Ok joking aside I do like a torch or ten... But being serious for a bit the power of modern torches is very impressive.

 Not that many years ago I used to use the army issue right angle torch, they were never fantastic and I soon switched to the mini maglite (2 double A battery) this was brighter, smaller and lighter, plus you could "zoom" the beam to check out stuff in the distance.  For more power the bigger 3D cell maglite was popular, though a bit heavy.  

 Fast forward a few years and a three watt led came out, wow these were way brighter and not much bigger than the mini maglite.  Indeed I remember being blown away by the light output compared to the same size maglite.

 Fast forward to today and by heck things have moved on, the power of a modern pocket torch is silly, I have one in my trouser pocket that gives my car headlights a run for their money, it's beam goes nearly 400 yards, it's easily as bright as those great big Dragon lanps the police used to carry.  The tiny one on my keys about the size of a double A battery is a lot brighter than the old 3W and lights up getting on for the lenght of a football field.

 It seems the power is about doubling every year or so, so by the end of this decade the torch in your pocket will make the floodlights at Manchester uniteds ground look dim... I want one... No by hell, I want two!

No comments: