Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Basic survival kit

Over the years I've carried survival kits in various forms,and as I recently found one of my old kits I thought I'd share some of what I feel is useful.  Remember this is a basic kit and it's aimed at people in temperate climate as here in the uk..

Bivi bag, this is a thin orange plastic bag (sleeping bag size) which offers some shelter from the wind and rain, the one I have folds up to about the size of a packet of cigarettes.

Flint and steel for starting fires (and carry matches as well)

Blades, my kit has some of those one-sided razor blade things, but I don't know if you can still get those.  I also like to carry a proper knife or multi-tool (be aware of the local laws regarding carrying a knife)

Water purification tablets, handy if the only water supply is a bit 'iffy' check the date as they can go out of date.

Light source. Now where I live it's pretty dark so I always carry a torch (pertty much always have) it used to be a double a maglite, but in recent years I've found the led torches give a lot more light and use less batteries.  My standard now is a Refrakta (cree)  which gives a hell of light even if it is slightly bigger than the old double a maglite, I also have a small keyring light on my keys (where else?)  But whatever you carry it pays to have a spare light source, just in case....

Cord.  Now I know paracord is the standard, but it's also bulky to carry a lot,  I found years ago that picture hanning string (thin braided stuff) was pretty damm strong and you could carry about 50 foot of the stuff easily.
Compass.  Buy a decent one, not a crap one from a pound shop (dime store) because when you need a compass you need one that bloody works!  And if you don't know how to use a compass find out BEFORE you get lost in the woods, it's  a lot easier than trying to figure it out after.

Water.. I carry a water bottle on any walk.

So thats about it, yes theres a million and one other things you could carry, but theres a point at which it becomes akward to actually carry around always, and thats the problem with bug-out bags, great if your home or have access to your hous/car/whatever but your knackered if your 200 miles away when things go tit's up.


No comments: