Saturday, May 18, 2013

Bloody computers... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!

Yes you guessed it I'm angry!   My trusty old PC's DVD drive failed, which it has several times before (I read/write a lot of disks) that wasn't what made me angry though.  I popped down my local computer shop to buy a new DVD writer.  First problem, they dont sell IDE DVD writers any more, only the newer SATA ones.  Ok no big deal, off to my second nearest shop.... Ahhhh thats now closed and gone for ever... Bugger!

Back to the first shop, 'I'll have an external DVD writer please?'  Not what I really want but it'll make life easier till I get a proper one.  'Ahhh, bad luck we've just sold the last two'says the man behind the counter.  Bugger!

Ok, now this is getting to be a pain!, my brother is supposed to be getting me a sata pci card so I can fit a sata drive, but he's fallen of the end of the earth and I can't find him anywhere.
I can still burn disks but it means copying the files to a pen/zip drive and transferring them to my new super-duper computer, (which being 64 bit wont work with my favorite DVD writing software) so I have to faf about figuring out how to write the beggars using Windoze (yep that's how I spell it) Not ideal and bloody time consuming.

Next step into the nearest BIG city and another computer shop,  'have you got any IDE DVD writers please?'   'Yes' was the reply, 'I sleep with them their are so hard to find' he says.  That worries me slightly, but not enough to stop me buying the thing.
Back home I fit the drive and ..... Yes you guessed it, the bastard computer cant see the bloody thing, it see's it as a CD drive not DVD (I did check it was a DVD drive) 
Sod it I'll try writing a disk and see what happens, the bloody draw comes out I put a disk it and the bloody draw stays out.... BUGGER BUGGER!!!!
Phone shop, 'bring it back' he says, well what the hell did he think I was going to do with it, use it as a paper weight?

Back the the big city I go, back to the shop.  He tests the drive?, of course he did!, I always take back perfectly good stuff to change it. And besides the bloody draw is still stuck out. There's a clue there for Gods sake.  'Yep it's fried inside says Einstein.  'No kidding' says I, 'I wonder if thats why IT DOESN'T BLOODY WORK?' I shout   He swop's drive and in the confusion damn nearly gives my my old broken drive back (he pushed the draw back in)   Back home with new drive, fit it in computer and .......  Thank God the PC see's it and writes fine.

Now all I have to do is worry about what happens next time it goes.......

No comments: