Thursday, June 22, 2023

Sony ZV1 What have I learned so far?

 

Well I've had it about a week, shot two videos and taken a few photos, what have I learned so far.

 The first thing I learned is the 24-70 lens (full frame equiv) isn't ideal.  The wide end crops in with stabilisation turned on and crops in again if you use 4k.  This isnt a massive issue, but it's something to keep in mind.  For me a bigger issue is the lack of a longer telephoto.  There are two digital zoom options which will help though.

 The camera seems decent enough at high iso, although I've not pushed it too far yet.  It's worth noting the camera has no built in flash for low light situations.  It does have a hot shoe, but couriously Sony dont make a small flash gun for it's compact models.  Yes you can use Sonys normal flash guns but most are bigger than this camera.

 Is it compact enough?  I'd say yes, it's not the smallest compact about, but it is pocket size if you have a reasonable pocket.  It's not light though, being heavier than it looks, mines heavier again as I fitted a grip/cage to the bottom which makes fitting the remote handle better (it will fit without this but you have to remove it to change the battery)

 Speaking of battery, you will need spares.  I shot 14 mins of film and a few stills and got a red battery warning light.  To be fair I had used the camera the day before, and there was a lot of reviewing footage and menu checking at the same time.  So in the real world you'd get longer, and it hadnt stopped just a warning of low power.

 The good news there is batteries are small, light and cheap, so carrying a few spares isn't a big deal.

 Picture image quality is very good, plenty good enough for those who are used to a phone camera, and that'll help as you have to use this camera like a phone.  These no electronic veiwfinder, just the screen on the back.  That said this camera is designed and marketed as a vlogging camera, Sony make a number of others aimed at still shooters.

 Video quality is up to 4k, and the camera does have a pretty good built in microphone, and you have a volume control.  It also has a standard mic socket so you can use a Rhode or other microphone, and it comes with it's own "dead cat" microphone fluffy cover (the dead kitty due to it's size) I've not had chance to test it out in the wind though.

 I'll give you more info when I've had time for a proper play.

 


 




No comments: