Friday, December 27, 2019

Vienna Blood (review)



Vienna Blood.  "Max Liebermann, a student of Sigmund Freud, helps Detective Rheinhardt in the investigation of a series of disturbing murders around the grand cafes and opera houses of 1900s Vienna." IMDb

 I have to be honest when I first saw the title I thought oh no! another vampire series, however it's nothing to do with vampires. My bad.
 The series stars Mathew Beard as young doctor Max Liebermann and Jurgen Maurer as tough grizzled Detective Oskar Reinhardt.
 Set in 1900's Vienna, it follows a doctor attached to the police to study criminals, however the doctor is a student of  psychology and ends up becoming a sort of early criminal profiler.
 The series is well shot with costumes and scenery looking about right (helped by being filmed in Vienna) Its good to see the detective looking scruffy as would have been the case in those days.
 The series has a real Sherlock Holmes film feel to it, with the doctor observing all sorts of details the detective misses, helped by similar music and some tongue in cheek humour in places, and it's longer 90 mins running time.
I found the first episode (the only one I've seen yet) very good and leaving me wanting to see more.
 Waynes rating 8/10  well worth a watch






No comments: