Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Funeral costs!

 

 Having to sort out a funeral, I've discovered a few things about the costs.  Wehn they say on the telly an average funeral costs 7k, they may not be far wrong.... But!  It's not quite that simple.

 I've seen adverts for things like pure cermationsand things like that, saving you a ton of money, ahh not quite it seems.  A friend looked into this a few months ago (before I needed to organise a funeral) and it turns out the costs are not quite as cheap as it sounds.

 You see they add in all the extras and you end up paying the same as an undertaker would have charged in the first place.  I just phoned around a few undertakers and booked the one I liked, so far I cant say I'm dissapointed, they've done a load of stuff, and helped me a lot with things I'd overlooked.

 Now the costs, it's the "hidden" things that bump up the price, not taking undertaker here, things like flowers, £495 (thats a MUM a NANNA and a wreath) two suits, shirts and ties cost me over £500.  Now to be fair I had a black suit, as did my son, his was a mix and match of jacket and trousres, mine was a real cheapo suit.  Sorry thats not good enough for mums funeral so off to the shop for new.

 Then theres death certificates £11 each, and you need a few to send off to various people, house clearence (haven't sorted that yet but it's going to be a few hundred) and all the phone calls, two days of phoning to get through to the DWP  FFS!

 As for the funeral itself, around £4k upwards depending on your requirments, I suspect that'll vary with places like London being dearer..

 Well now I'm off to see the Rev Clive (the vicar for the funeral) I've met him before and I want him for my funeral, he's great (I told him that last time we met)  

Then all I have left to do is sort out the music, check the order of service, clear the house, get  the wheelchair back to the disabled services people, get her chair back to whoever supplied that, sort out a wake, pay off any bills she has left.... I think thats it??? I hope....

No comments: