Sunday, December 16, 2018

Doctor Who.


 I've tried to keep out of the debate over the new Doctor Who.  Sadly I just can't stand still and watch it be killed off.
 I've been a fan since the first ever episode aired on the 23rd Nov 1963 the unearthly child, followed by the arrival of the Daleks in the 5th episode on the 21st Dec 1963, after that  I was hooked.
 Theres been good and bad Doctors since. I must admit my favorite was the first, dear old William Hartnell, I wasn't much taken by Peter Davison (the 5th doctor) and Paul McGann (8th) was bloody terrible, not however as bad as the dreaded Peter Crapaldi... errr Capaldi, my bad.
 I found his episodes hard to watch. Not helped by scripts clearly written for a younger actor, Capaldi didn't have the acting range needed to carry it off.
 Then we come to the new Doctor..... Jodie Twittaker   I mean Whittaker.  Well where do I start.
The costume is silly, she's a hopeless actress, indeed the fact she gets less airtime by having 3 assistants shows even the beeb recognize this weakness. The scripts are just plain crazy, talk about PC they just ram the beebs agenda down the viewers throats. One episode even asks if a person is robophobic for gods sake.
 Now I do wonder if the beeb are trying to kill it off, they asked viewers in a survey before making this series how they felt about a woman Doctor, it overwhelming said NO! yet the beeb ignored it's fanbase and did it anyway.
 Now the truth is science fiction isn't popular with TV companies, it's always expensive to make yet looks cheap, the camera crew always end up in a quarry in Wales pretending it's planet Quebble five in the Mogodon cluster, and unless done well it tends to struggle for viewers.
 Doctor whos highest viewing figures are from Matt Smith (not counting Christmas specials) with nearly 12 million average, the first series pulled around 8 million, thats a lot in the 1960s when lots didn't have TV. The lowest are from Capaldi  5.45 million and Whittaker 4.8 million, compare that to a repeat episode of Dads Army 1973 shown in Dec this year pulled over 1.5 million. So only three times as many who watched an old well run repeat.
 Well done BBC.

No comments: