Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Tesco hot cross buns... WTF!


 I bought  a packet of hot cross buns from Tesco today, I'm quite partial to a buttered bun... or maybe a bit of bun with my butter.
 Anyway as I was cutting the buns I noticed an odd smell, I sniffed the buns and there was a sort of what I thought to be cinnamon-ish smell. Still bung on half a pound of butter and off I go.... Then I start to eat one... Bloody Hell!  Revolting!  I try to figure out the taste but I can't put my finger on it. Back to the packet and it says hot cross buns, then I see the small print. Salted caramel and chocolate chip hot cross buns. WTF!!!!!!
 Hot cross buns shouldn't have salted caramel or chocolate chips, a hot cross bun is supposed to be a hot cross bun, the recipe is well known.
 The hot cross bun story goes back to around the 12th century when a monk making buns decided to put a cross on them to mark Good Friday.
 The recipe then didn't include bloody salted caramel then and it shouldn't now. I hate to waste food but the two I had buttered went in the bin.
 So what next Tesco, a cheese sandwich with pineapple? Or maybe a custard tart with blackberries?

 I don't mind you making different flavors but don't sell then as something they are not, and those are not fucking hot cross buns.

No comments: