Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Porth-yr-ogof cave

This place has some bad memories for me.  When I visited it before when I was about 7 years old, I saw a man die here.  The chap had apparently fallen and hit his head, then drowned, this was in the late 'fifties' or early 'sixties'  People came running to our big posh car thinking my father was the doctor, we went to help (I don't know why I was allowed to watch) they tried to resuscitate the chap using whats now know as the holger neilson method, sort of working the arms back and fro.  They sort of got him back a bit but the ambulance took hours to arrive, and had no oxygen, we were told later the man was dead on arrival.
With today's better cpr and modern fast well equipped ambulances the outcome might have been much different.
Anyway I went back this week (first time I think) the came is huge, the entrance is about 15 meters across and the system runs over 2 kilometers.




No comments: