Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Architects, whey can't they design a house properly!

I've lived in a number of houses in my life, they all shared one thing in common, they were designed by morons.
My first house where I grew up for example.  Built into the side of a steep hill, the back garden was level with the roof, going out the garden to play was like scaling the north face of the Eiger.  Well what else could they do I hear people say?  Easy build the bloody thing on flat ground for a start, there was no real shortage of it in my part of Wales, yes we do have a lot of hills but there's plenty of flat ground too.
Then my next home was built of a reclaimed bog, again 1000's of acres of good land all around it so they built of the cheap crap bit.
The next place I lived was on an island, no really a traffic  island surrounded by a road, why build there for heavens sake? the poor old dears had to dice with death just to get to the shops, and there was nowhere to park either, great thinking lads.
Then we get to the insides, the kitchens are always too small (obviously designed by someone who doesn't know how to cook) with daft things like you have to close the kitchen door to open the fridge etc.  The attic trapdoors are always at the top of the stairs, why? it's easily the most dangerous place to put it, one slip and you fall two floors instead of one, bloody silly idea.
The light fittings, now this really should be easy, just bung it in the middle.... so why don't they, in most houses I've been the fittings are well off centre, this means you often have to faff about with extra lights to light the room properly, and while were on the subject, why wire all the lights together in one light, a junction box would be far easier and it means a celing fitting can be easily changed.
Not where I live it can't, we took down the bedroom fitting to have it replaced only to find about 20 wires inside it, there wasn't enough room in the new fitting for all the wires, and having it all rewired was too expensive, so I'm stuck with the old fitting.

No comments: