Saturday, March 28, 2009

Knowing with Nicolas Cage 2009

A film review for a change.
The plot, Nicolas Cage plays a dour astronomy teacher single parent. His sons school open a 50 year old time capsule containing among other things a list of numbers, Mt Cage decodes the numbers to discover a list of disasters past and future, he tries to prevent the future ones, but is there more going on than meets the eye, and who are the strangers, will he save the day?
The film, I found the film a bit slow, and very dark and moody, the special effects were excellent, brilliantly done. Personally I'm not sure about the ending, I sort of got the feeling they just got fed up with the whole thing and ended it quick, had I been the director I think I would have filmed a few alternative endings and tried them out on the audiences, and chosen the most popular.
Plot holes, now to be fair I was very tired when I watched this so I may have missed bits.
What are the black stones for? Why was the little girl who started it all house still intact and not vandalised? What does the second sheet of writing mean, and why doesn't Nick try and decode that? Why do the black stones float in the air? Why was a 50 year old door still there, don't they renovate places, and how does Nick know where to burn off the paint?.
Overall impression , to be fair the films not bad, I enjoyed it, it's an original idea (as far as I know) which makes a pleasant change these days, it's not an action film, but SC-FI, don't expect a "shoot-em-up" type film, more one that makes you think. my score 7.5 out of 10

Warning the special effects are quite graphic, if your squeamish you may be upset at some scenes, not suitable for minors in my opinion.

Wayne

No comments: