Sunday, July 9, 2023

Tamron 28-300mm for Canon

 

 One of my mates bought one of these so I thought I'd do a test and very brief review.

The Tamron 28-300mm is a so called superzoom designed for full frame camera  it will still work on a crop sensor camera as well, although depending on make the lens will be the equivalentof around 45mm to 480mm, so on a crop sensor you loose the wide angle end of the zoom range, but gain on telephoto.

Obviously a lens of this range has to make some compromise, this means it it's a 3.5 to 6.3 F stop, that means you'll need to bump up the ISO on a dull day or struggle with hand holding the slower shutter speeds.

The lens itself is light, very light in fact, it's also supprisingly small... well until you zoom in then the barrel extends in two stages to around three times it's closed length.  It does have a zoom lock to stop it slipping open (you lock it in the closed position) but my tester didn't have any issues with it opening, the zoom seemed stiff enough not to suffer creep, yet not so stiff as to be any problem zooming.

 Optically it's not bad, ok it's no L series, but then it's a cheep budget friendly lens, and replaces a couple of lens really, you'd need a 28-70 and a 70-300mm to cover this lens.   I'd say it's good enough for most people unless you need to crop a lot or pixle peep.  As a walk around lens for full frame it's pretty good, I was expecting it to be a lot worse.

 Below are some test shots taken at 28mm, 100mm, 200mm and 300mm, all hand held shot on a full frame Canon 6d2.  If you click on a picture then right click and view image you can see a larger version.  All the pics went through photoshop and had my normal sharpen and resize action.

Also all the airshow pictures I posted were shot on it on the same camera.

 So would I use it?  Well yes as a walk around lens it would be fine.  Would I use it on a critical job?  Probably not if I had something better, but I suspect most people would never know the difference, and thats a hell of a handy range and weight saving for a day out walk.

 





 



No comments: