Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Four hours sleep! Wow!

 I've just slept solid for four hours, wow!.   Now your thinking WTF is Wayne on about?  Most people sleep for four hours.  And thats true, but not me.... recently.

In the last nine days, four hours is the longest sleep I've had... In a day!  Most days I've averaged around two hours, once it was twenty minutes before being called.  By courious coincidence, thats around the same amount of time I've spent home too!

 You seee for the last nine days I've lived in hospital.  Oh it's not because of my health, my mother was taken in again, this time shes serious.  Long term it's not going to have a happy ending, so we have lived, ate, and sat at her bedside for nine days.

 For all the NHS's failings (and it's a bloody shambles) the actual front line staff are mostly great, certainly the various ambulance crews I've spent time with and the staff of ward ten (yes I remember emergency ward ten on telly) have been brilliant.

 Having spent twenty ish hours a day on a ward for over a week you see what they have to do, I couldn't do it, I'd be on a murder charge.  "NURSE NURSE!!!"  "can you pass me my phone"  Not so much as question as an instruction!

That for hour after hour, day after day!  Not for me mate, not now, not ever.  But thank you to those who do do it with a smile, and a laugh, to make patients and family feel better.  Three deaths out of six on a ward in one night, people you got to know a bit, washed, given them their dinner.  Must be hard.

 As for the laughs, the man who brings the dinners around, he really should be on stage, "this fish is fresh it was swiming in the (name of local river) this morning!"  "put an ECG on it and we'll probably get a trace" or " I wouldnt recomend the omelette, you might end up in hospital"  This to a ward full of people.  Unprofessional?  Maybe, do the patients and families like it  YES!  Everybody loves him, he make us smile, at a time we need it.

 So thats my lot today, I'm off back to a small, curtained off area for maybe another 20 ish hours, as well as watching and worrying about Mum, I'll chat to the other patients and staff, some on first name terms.

No comments: