Sunday, October 12, 2014

Wireless flash on a budget (cheap ebay kit)

Now I know many modern cameras have built in wireless flash, mine does, but frankly it's a pain in the ass to use.

What should really be a one button job takes about 5 minutes, because it's far from one button.
On my flash for example you have to hold down two buttons for 3 seconds, then cycle through the options for slave.
Next on the camera, I have to go into the menu, into the flash menu, and select several different options, including turning off the camera pop up flash (which still fires anyway)  then pop up the flash and turn the power down (in the menu of course)  After all the playing silly buggers in the menus I can then take the picture, always assuming the subject hasn't got bored and gone, or died of old age.
So the thought is there has to be a better way!  And luckily there is.

Now theres been proper real wireless flash (I think of wireless as radio!) for years but it tends to be pricey, but now with the miracle of the Internet (and ebay) you can get cheap wireless flash kits.
I bought a Wansen wireless flash set, you get a transmitter to go on the cameras hot shoe, and a receiver with a hot shoe for your flash to go on.
There are switches for 16 channels so you don't clash if theres lots of you shooting at the same time with the same kits, but if your on your own you can just leave it at default, theres one on off switch on the receiver (none on the transmitter curiously)
The receiver also has a tripod mount in the bottom (and a cold shoe) so it'll fit on most standard tripods and you can use it with brolly holders etc.

In use it couldn't get much easier, you turn on the receiver, stick your flash on top, turn the flash, and fit the transmitter on the hot shoe of the camera and off you go.

Now the cheap kit I bought is not ettl flash so you have to work in manual, but it works a treat.
The makers claim it works to 30 metres, I didn't measure the distance but I must have got to around 50-60 feet (maybe a bit more) before it stopped working, to be honest plenty far enough for normal shooting.

Conclusions, for under a tenner off ebay it's a great buy, now I might not use it often but if I need a bit of quick and easy off camera flash I'll be using this rather than the built in camera shambles any day of the week.
If you have a few receivers and several flash units you have the making of a studio kit, all portable too.

I have no connection with the company that makes or sells any of these kits






No comments: