Sunday, September 14, 2014

Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who

Well I've given it four weeks before making any kind of decision and I'm afraid I don't like Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who. 
He's just not working for me.  I think the trouble is he's trying to play it for laughs and he can't do it, if he played it straight and dark and nasty it might work, but he hasn't the face for comedy (or the timing) so he just looks silly.
Personally I think the Beeb blundered in the first place by using someone we've seen in the series as another character. 
I've nothing against Peter being older, after all the Doctor started as an old man, and John Hurt is no spring chicken but he was tons better at the doctor, although sadly only briefly.
Sadly I can see this being the end of Doctor Who (maybe the idea?) I'm reading on various forums and the net that Capaldis not much liked by the fans, if viewing figures drop off to much the Beeb will pull the series.
My advice for Capaldi?  Watch some of the early episodes with dear old William Hartnell, he would happily leave his companions behind if it helped him, be darker and please, pretty please stop playing it for laughs.

No comments: