Monday, January 20, 2014

Cyclists, their own worst enemy

Cyclists have been in the news a lot recently, the number killed in London alone is cause for concern, that said many are their own worst enemy.
Over the last week I've seen some pretty scary cyclists, some crazy, some just plain dumb, the thing they have in common is they seem to go out of their way to piss of other motorists.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti cyclist, indeed for most of my adult life I've been a keen cyclist, even taking part in 100 mile races, sadly now older age and health issues make it difficult for me to ride.
Last week I saw one cyclist ride straight though a red light narrowly missing getting hit by a car going through on green.  Since then I've seen a group of cyclists happily riding the wrong way up a one way street, more riding two abreast in a narrow-ish county road totally blocking traffic, including a mountain rescue emergency vehicle on a way to a call.  Yet another cyclist riding along the road alongside the proper cycle path built at huge expense to make it safer for cyclists.
Yet cyclists always claim other motorists give them a hard time (as I know all too well) but if you ride like a prat, deliberately hold up other faster traffic and ignore the law (rules of the road) then they hardly lightly to endear yourself to them are they.
Cyclists please be sensible, the bad few are getting all cyclists a bad name and causing us all to get hassle, don't ignore the law it applies to cyclists too.

No comments: