Friday, January 10, 2014

Cree / Refrakta ( torch review )

I'm one of those people who like to "be prepared" so I always carry a torch of some sort, for Christmas I had the Refrakta 580 lumen's torch (Cree)  So here's a brief review.

The torch is 580 lumen's, a lot for a small pocket torch, it has 5 modes, low, medium, high, SOS and 8htz strobe, and has a rechargeable battery.

In use the torch is solidly built and feels comfortable in the hand, it lasts a good time on a battery over an hour on high power. 

The light output is frankly staggering, even low power is plenty bright enough for normal things including finding your way around in total darkness, as for high power... think car headlight and your close, seriously I'm pretty sure you could drive home with one of these taped to your car, ok you wouldn't be driving fast but you'll see ok.  It lights up about 50 yards (meters) clearly with a good spread of light.

If you can't think in lumens (and I can't) I figure 580 lemens looks about equivelient to an 8w torch (aprox), now that doesn't sound a lot but trust me it's got tons of light. 

Whether it's for finding something dropped behind the fridge, or finding your way down off a mountain in bad weather at night you'll be glad your got one of these in your pocket.

Waynes rating 9/10  (wish I'd had one years ago)



No comments: