Friday, February 22, 2013

Energy saving bulbs/Fluorescent Tubes

I'll start with so called energy saving bulbs, the issue I have with these is they are not as energy efficient as some would have us believe.  Yes it's true to say they use less electric to actually run, but they use vast amount's more energy to manufacture, they also don't last as long, I['m changing these so called "long life" bulbs every few weeks, the old light bulbs lasted years, the other problem with them is they actually take a few minutes to give out full light output.
Fluorescent Tubes, well where do I start, a great idea, they give good all around light, but...... the problem with these is they just don't come on when you turn the switch, my kitchen light for example can take as long as 30-40 seconds to actually burst into life after throwing the switch, what a pointless idea, when I want a light I want it then, not in a few minutes when it feels like lighting up.   
The other issue with these things is the so called starter (something else that only lasts a few weeks) I have a draw full of these to change as they keep packing up, which then leaves you the choice of bugger all light or the flickering-flashing insanity that follows 5 minutes of trying to work with the bloody thing going flash flash over your head, thats assuming you don't manage to have an accident before that every time the light goes out.
I do wonder how the conversation with the inventer went, something like this I suspect.
"I've invented a new kind of light bulb"
"Have you?"
"Yes, it's great, it uses less electricty and give more light"
"Wow does it?  Has it got any drawbacks?"
"Well.... it doesn't actually come on when you turn the switch.... but it does come on eventually...."
"Ahhh.. thank you, see yourself out, don't call us we'll call you..... maybe"

No comments: