Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Photokit

The people at Pixel Genius have announced Photokit sharpener 2 (due out later this year)
Now I have to admit to being a fan of the original PK Sharpener, it's designed by people who actually know about sharpening and photography, they wrote the book on sharpening (literally!) It doesn't get much better than this.

It's designed as a 3 stage sharpening work flow.
Capture sharpening, which simply replaces the softness caused by the anti alias filter on the sensor.
Creative sharpening, where you sharpen certain elements of an image, a rock in the foreground or the eyes in a portrait maybe.
Output sharpening, where the sharpening is tailored to the image size and whether it's for printing or web.

Now PG make two other products, Photokit and Photokit colour, which I have to confess I hadn't tried before. Well this week I gave them a try, and to be honest I wasn't blown away with either.
Both have a number of effects and options which will make life easier and a little quicker for the busy photographer, that said some of the effects I found far to light, the diffusion effect even on strongest had hardly any effect on my test image, some of the others like the sepia again just looked horrid. Most of the effects could be easily replicated in photoshop.

Are they worth the money? well at around £65 PK sharpner is IMHO is well worth it, it's something I use daily and it does a smashing job.
The others at £32 for Photokit and £65 for the PK colour? Probably not in my opinion, but by all means try them your self and decide then, after all it's your money your spending not mine (I hope)

No comments: