Thursday, November 14, 2013

Some news.

Cycling.  It seems that five cyclists have died in London in the last nine days.  Sadly I don't think theres an answer, the fact is today's modern traffic and our old narrow road layouts are just unsuitable for cyclists. I have been a keen cyclist myself, sadly my health stops me now.  But when I was cycling it was always a gamble, traffic simply won't give way to cyclists who it feels are holding them up, and cyclists can't keep up with road speeds easily either.
 Separate cycle lanes work up to a point, but the problem with those is many don't follow the normal road and go miles out of the way.  Worse are the road marked cycle lanes, what a joke! Traffic simply drives over the lanes (often shared by buses and taxis) then theres the road junctions that cross them anyway, traffic turning simply will not give way to a cyclist.


Acid seas.  It seems the global warming gang have now decided that as the earth isn't actually warming (not in the last 15 years anyway) but that our emissions are now turning the seas acid instead of warming the world up.
Now a few things strike me, first off how come it took these Einstein's 15 years to notice global warming was a load of crap (something most of us knew anyway) and secondly what made them think of checking the acid levels in the sea instead?  To be honest it sounds like a lot of people trying desperately to justify their jobs and grants.  This is now the NEW excuse for pollutions tax's, then in 15-20 years it'll come out this was a load of bull droppings too and it'll change to something else.  Give it guys and start telling the truth.


Public transport.  The government and bus companies are getting concerned by the number of people using their cars instead of buses....   Have any of these people actually tried going anywhere by bus recently?   It's a farce.  My local town is about 2.5 miles from where I live, not far, a reasonable fit person can walk that in about 35 minutes without killing himself.  Yet the bus takes 40 minutes to get there.  Why? Because the bus goes around miles of side streets and through estates.  Where before each area had a bus direct to town, now the one bus goes everywhere, trouble is this means it's painfully slow.
Now in my car I can go to town, pay a bill and grab a bit of shopping and still be home in about an hour, on the bus the same trip means I end up waiting for the bus, rushing to do my shopping (so I don't miss the bus back) and still takes the best part of 3 bloody hours.   Madness!
For public transport to work it has to be
A cheap
B regular (not one an hour but 4 or 8 an hour)
C reliable (ours turn up if they feel like)
Sadly most public transport is anything but any of those above.










No comments: