Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Gritting the roads.

The last few days the weathers been very cold and a bit snowy/icy here, that's made the roads pretty bad, now to be fair the local council (Neath/Port talbot) haven't done too bad a job, they grit my street and I'm not on a main road, most of the local roads have been passable with care. Sadly I can't say the same for Swansea.
My brother phoned me Saturday night to warn me the roads were very dodgy in Morriston, I already knew, I'd been to Amanford where I don't think they know what a gritting lorry is. The roads were lethal there, even the main roads were covered in ice, in one side road I could hardy stand up never mind drive.
Why are we so ill prepared for ice and snow? We get it every year around this time, it really shouldn't surprise the local authorities, yet every year 2 inches of snow bring the country to a standstill. A mate of mine worked in Alaska, several feet of snow over night was not uncommon, yet next day the roads would be open as usual, and the place kept on running.
Even in the Chanel tunnel there were problems, why was it snowing in there too? No it was warm and the trains couldn't cope with the change from cold to warm for heavens sake.
What worries me me is all the fuss about climate change. Why are we worrying about global warming, we can't handle the climate we have now, we should get that sorted out first

No comments: