Sunday, October 11, 2009

Corned Beef (and Concorde).

This evening I fancied a corned beef sandwich, no big deal, but what a pain it turned out to be.

It's 40 years since man first walked on the moon, in that time Concorde came and went.
Phones went from boxes on the street corner to the Mobile in your pocket with a built in camera and MP3 player.
Computers went from being the size of a large room, to the size of a Mobile phone, with a thousand times the power.
Corned beef cans went from the stupid key on the outside to..... well, the stupid key on the outside!. Yes they haven't really changed have they.
True somebody makes a ring pull version but a lot of stores don't stock that version, so I ended up with the silly key version, and I'll tell you something they are CRAP!
I tried to open it with the key and it just wouldn't turn, all I was doing was bending the bloody thing. Next I tried a can opener, that wouldn't do the job properly because the top lip of the can is so thick, in the end I used a combination of bread knife, pliers and brute force.
In the end I managed to get my sandwich but to be honest 10 minutes of playing silly beggars rather took the edge off it, I nearly gave up and went out for a KFC. Next time I will, and I'll never buy the make corned beef again, not unless it comes with a free chainsaw!

No comments: